POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Data recovery : Re: Data recovery Server Time
7 Sep 2024 17:12:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Data recovery
From: Invisible
Date: 1 Sep 2008 11:19:35
Message: <48bc0807$1@news.povray.org>
>> I mean, *now* I have multiple seperate physical HDs so it's kind of
>> unavoidable having seperate logical volumes.
>
> No, it isn't. With RAID you can combine several HDs to one logical
> volume, which even can hold if one of the disks break down.

Does anybody actually use RAID on a home system?

My dad is the only person I know who's tried it, and he has lost far
more data due to RAID glitches than to any physical hardware failure!

to it in a RAID-1 configuration. Every 6 hours or so, the RAID
controller would "fail" one of the drives and stop using it. Then you'd
have to tell it to rebuilt the array (BE CAREFUL TO SELECT THE RIGHT
SOURCE DRIVE!) and wait many, many hours for that to complete. And then
it would work for another few hours before failing one of the drives again.

In summary, it was hopeless and an utter waste of time.

Now all the *servers* here at work have RAID on them, but they have
expensive high-end UltraSCSI 360 RAID controllers with the
battery-backed RAM and so on and so forth. Nobody is rich enough to put
those in a desktop machine.

>> But I did it back when I only had one drive too. Makes reinstalling
>> the OS that much easier without losing work. (If anything on my PC
>> could be considered "work".)
>
> Yep, that's true and very reasonable. You should also RAID the
> work-partition and take scheduled backups ;).

Backup onto *what*?

I have, like, 100 GB of data now. I'm not aware of anything large enough
to hold that other than another HD. (Or an LTO tape...)

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/